This is my third Thankful Thursday post, in which I write about someone (or something) for which I’m thankful. I could write to someone I know personally, an author – anybody that I feel the need to thank that week. It can be in haiku format or just a normal blog post. No rules, just be thankful!
Today I’m writing a short list in response to my reading Big Little Lies. There are spoilers for the book – although I don’t say what happened to whom. But if you haven’t read the book and are completely avoiding spoilers, turn away!
- I’m very thankful that I’m in a loving marriage to an amazing man who doesn’t abuse me.
- I’m very thankful that I’m strong willed enough that if my husband did abuse me, I think I’d be ok with just walking out. [Note: I recognize that you never know until you’re in the situation – and thankfully I’m not – but I tend to not put up with a lot of crap.]
- I’m thankful that I don’t have a five-year-old. Kids are great but you shouldn’t bring them into the world if you aren’t sure you want them, and I’m kind of ambivalent.
- I’m thankful for my dogs because they’re easier to manage – in some ways – than kids and they don’t need homework supplies.
- I’m thankful that I don’t have to deal with helicopter parents. I had enough of that nonsense when I was a career advisor in higher education. Helicopter parents of college students…lord help us all.
- I’m thankful that I’ve never had a one-night-stand. Or had a one-night-stand with a guy who seemed nice but turned out to want to choke me until my vision faded. [Another note: I hate small talk and would much rather pay for my own drinks than have to talk to some fool with whom I have nothing in common.]
- I’m so very thankful that I don’t have to deal with gossipy women. My female coworkers rock!!!